Most award categories of the Best Practice Awards program are only open to University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) campuses. One winner per higher education system will be selected in each award category. Similar to last year, we are also including private colleges in the award category of Sustainability Champion.
Community Colleges are not participating in this year’s awards competition as the CCC Board of Governors will again be holding their own competition, the Annual Energy and Sustainability Awards. More details about this award competition to be released soon.
Directions — Read Before Submitting
- Nomination forms are accepted through February 28th
- This year all of the award categories except for the Sustainability Champion nominations, will use the same online form. Submittals will only be accepted through the online system unless you need special accommodations for accessibility access. Please contact Katie Maynard firstname.lastname@example.org for support with accessibility access.
- If you would like to prepare your submission ahead of time in a word document, you can access the questions in word here as long as you copy and paste into the online submittal before the deadline.
- Nominations must be submitted by faculty, students, or staff. Outside entities—including non-profits, architects, and consultants—can assist in the preparation of nomination forms, but nominations submitted by non-campus personnel will not be considered.
- For each winning project, at least one campus stakeholder (student, faculty, or staff) is expected to present at the CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference. Please do not apply for a Best Practice Award if no one from your campus will be able to present if your project is selected for an award.
- For each project or program that wins a Best Practice Award, one campus stakeholder (student, faculty, or staff) will receive a discounted conference registration and complimentary housing in the on-campus accommodations for Monday and/or Tuesday night.
- Projects that previously won best practice awards within the last four years are ineligible for this year’s competition. That said if you have submitted previously and did not win, you may apply again for the same project.
- For most categories, we are looking for projects that were completed in the past two years. For the New Construction and Renovations Category, we allow projects completed in the past five years to submit.