Making the Case to Attend the CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference
The CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference brings together all higher education institutions in the state with representation from all 23 CSU Campuses, all 10 UC campuses, 20 community colleges and 14 private universities. The CSU and CCC Chancellor’s Office, UC Office of the President, the utility companies, the UC/CSU/IOU Energy Efficiency Partnership, and the CCC/IOU Energy Efficiency Partnership also take leadership and/or sponsorship roles.
The conference highlights proven best practices in campus operations, business services, and curriculum from colleagues at peer institutions. All practices presented on at the conference have already been proven effective within a typical campus budget and within the particular regulations and restrictions that CA campuses must work within.
Our event also provides an opportunity to build relationships with campus staff, faculty, and students that are implementing energy efficiency and sustainability measures on their campus every day. Through the regional focus on California campuses, registrants are ensured that they will build relationships with colleagues that they can continue collaborations with throughout the year. Over 70% of our attendees are staff, faculty, or students from a CA campus.
There will be 10 simultaneously-run educational workshops and field trips throughout the event with over 100 educational activities during the main two days alone. Topics include:
- Food Systems
- Green Building New Construction and Renovations
- Green Building Operations and Maintenance
- Health and Wellness
- Institutionalizing Sustainability
- Climate Action
- Local (Reginal Case Studies)
- Procurement and Business Services
- Social Equity
- Student Affairs and Auxiliaries
- Waste Reduction and Recycling
- Water and Landscaping
In talking with peers, supervisors, and other potential funders about your possible attendance at the conference, we recommend:
- Explain the value of developing relationships with colleagues at peer institutions
- Articulate goals and problems that you hope to solve by attending the conference
- Offer to share what you will learn at the conference with your campus and/or community
Please let us know if additional resources or information would be helpful in making your case to attend the CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference. Katie Maynard, Event Manager, email@example.com.